Happy (almost) Thanksgiving!
Looking for a delicious festive breakfast? Try these sweet potato pancakes!
• 1 large sweet potato (steamed and mashed)
• 2 eggs
• 1/3 cup almond milk
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 tbsp butter
• coconut yogurt, cinnamon, pumpkin seeds and maple syrup to taste
1. Mix together the mashed sweet potato, eggs, almond milk, salt, and ground cinnamon.
2. Over medium heat, melt butter and cook the sweet potato pancakes for approximately 2 minutes per side (don’t flip them too soon so that they don't break!)
3. Top them off with some coconut yogurt, cinnamon, pumpkin seeds and maple syrup.
Sweet potatoes are not only delicious, but are also one of the best sources of beta-carotene, which are converted into vitamin A in our body. Vitamin A protects body from infections, supports cell growth, and is involved in eye and skin health.
Enjoy sweet potatoes for meals and snacks - the easiest way to cook them is to just rinse and bake in an oven until they are soft. You’ll be surprised how sweet they are without having to add any sugar :)
1. California Department of Public Health, Network for a Healthy California. Harvest of the Month. 2010. http://harvestofthemonth.cdph.ca.gov/documents/Winter/SweetPotatoes/Sweet%20Potatoes%20-%20Educator%27s%20Newsletter_Final.pdf