Whether it's in a salad, on a toast, or as a guacamole, avocado adds a great creamy flavor.
Some people are concerned that it's high in calories, but 1/2 avocado is 114 Calories - not that different from just 1 tablespoon of butter (102 Calories), right?
And the fatty acid composition of avocado is much healthier than butter! Majority (71%) of the fat contained in avocado is a type of fat called monounsaturated fatty acids.
With this healthy fat and other nutrients, avocado consumption has been associated with cardiovascular health and healthy aging.
Avocado goes well with pretty much anything, but if you're looking for something different, how about trying our creamy Avocado Smoothie?
<< Ingredients >>
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup packed spinach
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp flax seed
- 1 tsp bee pollen.
<< Instructions >>
- Add all the ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Enjoy it with a spoon (this smoothie comes out extra creamy and is often difficult to drink with a straw)!
- United States Department of Agriculture. Basic Report: 09038, Avocados, raw, California. National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference Release 28. https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2157
- United States Department of Agriculture. Basic Report: 01001, Butter, salted. National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference Release. https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/1
- Mark L. Dreher and Adrienne J. Davenport. Hass Avocado Composition and Potential Health Effects. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2013 May; 53(7): 738–750. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3664913/